Thunbergia is Botanically known as Thunbergia grandiflora from the Acanthaceae family. Common names are Bengal clock vine, Bengal trumpet, blue skyflower, blue thunbergia, blue trumpet vine clock vine, skyflower, and sky vine, etc. It is a perennial semi-evergreen flowering vine & it requires trelling or chain-like fencing or arbors for growing over it. It can be grown in big pots/containers and it has a light bluish color flower with a yellowish throat.
Plants may grow to about 20 meters in height and have a long root system if planted in the ground. The stalked, opposite leaves, which have a rough surface, are quite variable in shape. They may be triangular or ovate and the margins may be toothed, lobed or entire. The blue to mauve flowers are about 8 cm across with a 4 cm long tube that is pale yellow throat. These are followed by pods containing seeds that are ejected several meters upon ripening.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - It can reach more than 20 meters of height.
BLOOMING YEAR - Almost Year-round flowering, sometimes goes to dormancy in winter, it depends on the particular climatic condition of that area.
GROWING TIPS - It can grow almost in all types of soil and it can easily grow in any Indian Climatic condition.
- Plants grow very quickly and should be given strong support to climb on.
- For fast growth, it needs support, the more support it will grow very quickly.
- It can grow either in full sunlight or partial sunlight is also okay to grow.
- For lush green & bushy appearance better to plant it directly in the soil.
- After 20-25 days you can transplant it into your permanent location in full bright light condition.
- It can also grow in bushy conditions, if planted in a pot and by regular pruning.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Thunbergia Plant||1-2 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purposes only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - It requires a minimum of more than 3 hours of Direct Sunlight. If planted in full shade the blooming frequency will be reduced.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the topsoil(2-3 inches) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well-drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Apply any Organic Fertilizer Once in a month.
PLANT PROTECTION - Remove dead, infected, or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants. Generally, it is not affected by any pest & disease in case of any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil, or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not overwater it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Provide support with stick/moss stick(vine plant) in order to make straight growth, for needed plant only.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting(minimum 1 month)
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transit. New leaves will come very fast.