Rain lily is Botanically known as Zephyranthes candida from Amarylidaceae family. Common names are Cuban zephyrlily, white rain lily, white fairy lily, white zephyr lily. They are widely cultivated as ornamentals and have become naturalized in tropical regions worldwide. Like all rain lilies, they are known for blooming only after heavy rains.
Rain lily is a perennial herbaceous flowering plant. They are small plants, reaching only 15 to 20 cm in height. They bear five to six narrow and flattened dark green linear leaves about 3 to 4 mm wide and have spherical tunicate bulb around 1.5 to 2.5cm in diameter. The single funnel-shaped flowers are borne erect and the fragrant six-petals flowers are around 2.5 cm in diameter and 3 to 3.5 cm in length. The flowers develop into capsules that are divided deeply into three lobes. The seeds are shiny black and flattened.
What does make this Special??
- Rain lily flower as soon as there are signs of clouds after the hot summer and continue to bloom till winter.
- They are relatively low-maintenance, becoming dormant during extended periods of drought.
- Encourage butterflies and hummingbirds to visit your garden with nectar-rich, colorful flowers especially during the monsoon.
- Easy to grow plants either in a pot or directly in the soil or as a border plant in the garden.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - It can reach up to 30-50cm in height.
BLOOMING YEAR - The flower starts blooming within a month after purchase and continues year-round, but profusely during the rainy season.
GROWING TIPS - It can grow almost in all types of soil and it can easily grow in any Indian Climatic condition.
- They prefer semi-shade or bright light or full sunlight with moderate humidity.
- Plants are very hardy and easy to grow, valuable as late-flowering bulbous plants.
- Require good well-drained and fertile soils. Water freely as soon as buds appear.
- Regular feeding with organic fertilizer will keep the flowers coming.
- Plants can be grown in small pots, raised beds, border planting, also a minimum pot size of around 30 cm will be okay,
- Rain lily can long-lived a lot of their growth and performance depends on the soil used, Good well drained soil with lots of organic manure is recommended.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Rain lily-white Plant||less than 1 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purposes only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - It requires a minimum of more than 4 hours of Direct Sunlight. If planted in full shade the blooming frequency will be reduced.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the topsoil(2-3 inches) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone. Try to apply water in the morning or evening.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well-drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
TEMPERATURE - The average temperature should be 25-35 Degree Celsius.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Apply any organic fertilizer once a month. Do not forget to water your plant immediately after the application of fertilizer. For profuse flowering apply any Phosphorus based fertilizer once a month.
PLANT PROTECTION - remove dead, infected, or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants. Generally, it is not affected by any disease or insects, in case of that, you can use Neem oil spray for primary treatment.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not overwater it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light(2-3hrs) for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting (minimum 1 month)
- After 1 month you can transplant it into a slightly bigger pot than the present pot or directly in the soil.
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transits. New leaves will come definitely.