Petrea white Botanically known as Petrea volubilis albiflora from Verbenaceae family. Common names are White Wreath, White Sandpaper vine, Petrea white, Pandhara petrea etc. It is a perennial evergreen flowering vine & it requires trelling or chain like fencing or arbors for growing over it. It can be grown in big pots/containers.
White Petrea is a very lovely small climber with drooping long racemes of delicate white star-like flowers. It is a semi-shrub and semi-climber and the small wooden trunk develops artistic curves over the years. It looks as if an Ikebana expert has shaped it for his floral arrangement. It grows best in sunshine. It flowers in spring and in some areas also in November. The flowers come in raceme reaching over 1 foot long. The true flower, which is purple, lasts a couple of days but the white bracts remain much longer. The species is an evergreen flowering vine. It is grown as an ornamental plants, valued especially for its display of white flowers.
Why it is Called as Sandpaper vine/Creeper???
The texture of the leaves of these plants resemble as sand paper specially when you touch the leave(rough texture), it will give the same feeling as you are touching a sandpaper.
What does make it Special???
It is grown as an ornamental plants, valued especially for its display of white flowers with drooping long racemes of delicate pure whiteish star-like flowers. The flowers remain for more than a month on the plant and also attract butterfly.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - It's growth are around 4 to 6 meter of height.
BLOOMING YEAR - It blooms almost 5-6 months in a year, from March to June and somewhere start from November also.
GROWING TIPS - It can grow almost in all type of soil and it can easily grown at any Indian Climatic condition.
- One of the best flowering climbers, can grow on porch, arch, pergola and wall. Can be also grown as a stand alone bush.
- It grows and flowers best in full sun and it also do good in mild climates and in partial shade in hot and dry areas.
- As it prefer well drained sandy soil, can tolerate less water but requires water regularly.
- Is a very long lived climber and the supports should be strong and permanent and Pruning can be done to keep plants in required shape.
- After 1 month you can transplant it into your permanent location in full bright light condition.
- It can also grown in bushy condition, if planted in pot and by regular pruning.
- It is recommended to prune the plant after every flowering period.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Petrea white Plant||1 -2 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purpose only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - It requires minimum more than 3 hours of Direct Sunlight. If planted in full shade the flowering frequency will reduced.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the top soil(2-3 inch) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Apply any organic fertilizer once in a month for better health of the plant, apply water immediately after fertilizer application. For more vigours flowering apply any Phosphorus based fertilizer.
PLANT PROTECTION - Do regular pruning of the plant in order to maintain good required shape. Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants. Generally it is not affected by any pest & disease in case of any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not over water it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Provide support with stick/moss stick(vine plant) in order to make straight growth, for needed plant only.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting(minimum 1 month)
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transist.