Petrea is Botanically known as Petrea volubilis from the Verbenaceae family. Common names are Purple Wreath, Sandpaper Vine, etc. It is a perennial evergreen flowering vine & it requires trelling or chain-like fencing or arbors for growing over it. It can be grown in big pots/containers.
Purple Wreath is a very lovely small climber with drooping long racemes of delicate violet-purple star-like flowers. It is a semi-shrub and semi-climber and the small wooden trunk develops artistic curves over the years. It looks as if an Ikebana expert has shaped it for his floral arrangement. It grows best in the sunshine. It flowers in spring and in some areas also in November. The flowers come in raceme reaching over 1 foot long. The true flower, which is purple, lasts a couple of days but the blue bracts remain much longer, slowly turning gray. The species is an evergreen flowering vine. It is grown as an ornamental plant, valued especially for its display of blue flowers.
Why it is Called as Sandpaper vine/Creeper???
The texture of the leaves of these plants resemble sandpaper especially when you touch the leave(rough texture), it will give the same feeling as you are touching sandpaper.
What does make it Special???
It is grown as an ornamental plant, valued especially for its display of blue flowers with drooping long racemes of delicate violet-purple star-like flowers. The flowers remain for more than a month on the plant and attract butterflies.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - Its growth is around 4 to 6 meters in height.
BLOOMING YEAR - It blooms almost 5-6 months in a year, from March to June and somewhere starts from November also.
GROWING TIPS - It can grow almost in all types of soil and it can easily be grown in any Indian Climatic condition.
- One of the best flowering climbers can grow on porch, arch, pergola, and wall. Can be also grown as a stand-alone bush.
- It grows and flowers best in full sun and it also does good in mild climates and in partial shade in hot and dry areas.
- As it prefers well-drained sandy soil, can tolerate less water but requires water regularly.
- Is a very long-lived climber and the supports should be strong and permanent and Pruning can be done to keep plants in the required shape.
- After 1 month you can transplant it into your permanent location in full bright light condition.
- It can also be grown in bushy conditions if planted in a pot and by regular pruning.
- It is recommended to prune the plant after every flowering period.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Petrea Plant||1 -2 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purposes only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - It requires a minimum of more than 3 hours of Direct Sunlight. If planted in full shade the flowering frequency will be reduced.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the topsoil(2-3 inches) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well-drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Apply any organic fertilizer once a month for better health of the plant, apply water immediately after fertilizer application. For more vigours flowering apply any Phosphorus based fertilizer.
PLANT PROTECTION - Do regular pruning of the plant in order to maintain good required shape. Remove dead, infected, or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants. Generally, it is not affected by any pest & disease in case of any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil, or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not over water it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Provide support with stick/moss stick(vine plant) in order to make straight growth, for needed plant only.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting(minimum 1 month)
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transist.