The flaming trumpet is Botanically known as Pyrostegia venusta or Bignonia venusta from the Bignoniaceae family. Common names are Flaming Trumpet, Golden Shower, Flame Vine, Orange Bignonia, Orange Shower, Sankrant Vel, etc. It is a perennial semi-evergreen flowering vine & it requires trellising or chain-like fencing or arbors for growing over it. It can be grown in big pots/containers.
Why it is Called a Flaming trumpet/Sankrant vel Creeper???
During the blooming season, the whole plant gets covered with thousands of small shining orange flowers that resemble like a flame so the common name Flaming trumpet, As it blooms in the month of January, on the special festival of Sankranti, so the common name Sankrant vel.
What does make it Special???
- This plant is one of the high Demanding plants in the present day. The Beauty of this plant is when it is in full bloom in late winter and spring.
- Auspicious or Feng Shui plant.
- Can grow on trellis or chain link fencing.
- Must have for Farmhouse or big gardens.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - Its growth is around 8 to 12 meters in height.
BLOOMING YEAR - From January to April (sometimes vary depends on the climate conditions)
GROWING TIPS -
- Plants will not bloom well in warm and humid coastal areas. They require cool winters for best bloom.
- It will not do good in warm & humid areas, because it requires the winter season to bloom.
- One of the best flowering climbers can grow on porch, arch, pergola, and wall. Can be also grown as a stand-alone bush.
- It grows and flowers best in full sun and it also does good in mild climates and in partial shade in hot and dry areas.
- Is a very long-lived climber and the supports should be strong and permanent and Pruning can be done to keep plants in the required shape.
- It can also be grown in bushy conditions if planted in a pot and by regular pruning.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Flaming Trumpet Plant||1 -2 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purposes only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - It requires a minimum of more than 4 hours of Direct Sunlight. If planted in full shade the flowering frequency will be reduced.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the topsoil(2-3 inches) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well-drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
TEMPERATURE - Average temperature 20-35 Degree Celsius
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Apply any organic fertilizer once a month for better health of the plant, apply water immediately after fertilizer application. For more vigours flowering apply any Phosphorus based fertilizer.
PLANT PROTECTION - Do regular pruning of the plant in order to maintain good required shape. Remove dead, infected, or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants. Generally, it is not affected by any pest & disease in case of any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil, or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not overwater it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Provide support with stick/moss stick(vine plant) in order to make straight growth, for needed plant only.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting(minimum 1 month)
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transit.