Durian Botanically known as Durio zibethinus from Malvaceae family. Durian fruit is one of the popular tropical fruits known for its one of a kind fragrance and flavor. D. zibethinus is the only species commercially cultivated on a large scale and available outside of its native region. Since this species is open-pollinated, it shows considerable diversity in fruit colour and odour, size of flesh and seed, and tree form, size.
The variety we have is D24. The D24 durian is also known as Sultan Durian and is one of the well known durian species alongside Musang King. The flesh is golden yellowish in colour, creamy texture with a bittersweet taste. The flesh is sweet, less fibrous, with large seeds and easier to eat. Its shape ranges from oblong to round, the colour of its husk green to brown.
The leaves are evergreen, elliptic to oblong and 10–18cm long. The flowers are produced on large branches and directly on the trunk, Durian trees have one or two flowering and fruiting periods per year. The durian fruit can hang from any branch, and matures roughly three months after pollination. The durian is somewhat similar in appearance to the jackfruit.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - Upto 20-30m, some time more or less depends care and place of its location.
BLOOMING YEAR -Main flowering season is from January to March. Sometimes in June-July also depends on the climate conditions.
FRUITING TIME- Edible fruiting will start after 4-5 year after purchase.
GROWING TIPS - It grows best in moist, tropical and subtropical climates.
- If you want to grow in pot then minimum 25*25 inch of length & width and maximum size depends on you. But it will be better to grow directly in soil.
- You can plant at any time of the year, but most preferable time is June to July in low rainfall areas and October to November in high rainfall areas.
- It grows well in all soils but it shows good results in well drained soils with Ideal pH range is from 6.5 to 8.
- Manures and fertilizers should be applied in 2 month before the flowering seasons. Fertilizers are applied 45 to 90 cm away from the trunk.
- Use a commercial organic fertilizer with a high percentage of potassium, such 5-8-10, for fruit-bearing trees, or apply these nutrients with organic materials.
- Compost is a good organic source of both phosphorus and potassium. You can also use rock phosphate, guano, blood meal or bone meal to provide phosphorus, and seaweed to provide potassium.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Durian Fruit plant||1-3 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purpose only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - More than 6 hours of Direct Sunlight.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the topsoil(2-3 inch) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone specially during flowering season.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Initially upto 1 year apply any organic fertilizer once in a month. After full establishment apply any organic fertilizer(2-3 times in a year)
PLANT PROTECTION - Do regular pruning of the plant in order to maintain good required shape. Generally it is not affected by any pest & disease.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not over water it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Provide support with stick/moss stick(vine plant) in order to make straight growth, for needed plant only.
- Make sure that plants get enough direct bright light for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting(minimum 1-2month)
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transit. It happens very rare.