Betel Nut is also known as Areca Nut/Supari palm is commercially available in dried, cured, and fresh forms. The effect of chewing betel leaf and areca nut together is relatively mild and could be compared to that of drinking a cup of coffee. It is Considered an auspicious ingredient in Hinduism. It is an ornamental as well as an economically important plant.
- It is commonly referred to as betel nut, not to be confused with betel (Piper betle) leaves that are often used to wrap it (a preparation known as PAAN).
- The fresh fruit is green, can be cut with a typical knife, but the ripen fruit, as it dries, the fruit inside hardens to a wood-like consistency. At that stage, the Areca nut can only be sliced using a special scissors-like cutter.
- Considered an auspicious ingredient in Hinduism and some of Buddhism, the Areca nut is still used along with betel leaf in religious ceremonies, and also while honoring individuals in much of southern Asia.
- Areca nuts are chewed with betel leaf for their effects as a mild stimulant, causing a warming sensation in the body and slightly heightened alertness, although the effects vary from person to person.
- In India, the preparation of nuts with or without betel leaf is commonly referred to as Paan.
- It is available practically everywhere and is sold in ready-to-chew pouches called pan masala or supari. Pan masala with a small quantity of tobacco is called Gutka.
- It is easy to grow like that of other plants but requires to care the same as that of Growing Coconut.
- It is always recommended to grow it directly in the ground, instead of pot because of its height.
- Make sure that plant gets full sunlight area (minimum 4-6 hrs)
- You can grow it in all coconut growing regions, there is no need for a special climate.
- You can plant at any time in a year.
- Manures and fertilizers should be applied every 2 months. Fertilizers are applied 45 to 90 cm away from the trunk.
- It starts fruiting between 5-8 years after planting.
- If your plants have earlier flower before 4 years, then remove it, so that plant can well develop physically.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Arecanut Plant||2-3 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
**above specifications are for indicative purpose only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not overwater it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light(2-3hrs) for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting (minimum 1 month)
- After 1 month you can transplant it into a slightly bigger pot than the present pot or directly in the ground.
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transits. New leaves will come definitely.