Elephant creeper Botanically known as Argyreia nervosa from Convolvulaceae family. Common name are Elephant Creeper, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Silky Elephant Glory, Woolly Morning Glory, Hawaiian baby woodrose, adhoguda or vidhara etc. It is a perennial evergreen flowering & foliage vine & it requires trelling or chain like fencing for growing over it.
Elephant Creeper is a vigorous vine native to India, introduced world-wide. It has large, leathery heart-shaped leaves, which are white on the underside due to hairs. It is called elephant creeper because of the large leaves which look like elephant ears. Leaf blades are 15-25 cm long, and 13-20 cm wide, heart-shaped. Trumpet-shaped flowers are on long, white-velvety stalks. Flower-stalks are up to 15 cm long. Flowers are 5-7.5 cm long, with a short tube and bell-shaped limb, lavender to pink, the throat being of a darker shade. The flowers are followed by hard, woody capsules, which when they ripen break open to resemble miniature roses.
Why it is called as Elephant Creeper & What does makes it Special???
It is called elephant creeper because of the large leaves which look like elephant ears. As the plant is evergreen with big leaves it is best suitable to cover the ugly places or wall very easily, it also give roof like structure with full shade if provided with such type of trellis.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - It can reach more than 12 meter height.
BLOOMING YEAR - Year-around flowering but profusely during monsoon season.
GROWING TIPS - It can grow almost in all type of soil and it can easily grown in any Indian Climatic condition.
- Plants grow very quickly and should be given a strong support to climb on.
- For fast growth it needs support, the more support it will grow very quickly.
- It can grow either in full sunlight or partial sunlight is also okay to grow.
- For lush green & bushy appearance better to plant it directly in the soil.
- After 15 days you can transplant it into your permanent location in full bright light condition.
- Its a popular climber in tropical garden, hardy, quick growing, needs strong support as plants are long lived.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Elephant creeper Plant||1-3 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purpose only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - It requires minimum more than 3 hours of Direct Sunlight. If planted in full shade the blooming frequency will reduced.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the top soil(2-3 inch) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Initially upto 1 year apply any organic fertilizer once in a month. After that apply 2-3 times in a year.
PLANT PROTECTION - Do regular pruning of the plant in order to maintain good required shape. Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants. Generally it is not affected by any pest & disease in case of any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not over water it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Provide support with stick/moss stick(vine plant) in order to make straight growth, for needed plant only.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting(minimum 1 month)
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transist. New leaves will come very fast.